Friday, March 2, 2018

Chinese Historical Society Museum


I visited the Chinese Historical Museum in the heart of San Francisco's Chinatown. It is the oldest organization dedicated to the interpretation , promotion and preservation of the the social, cultural and contributions of the Chinese in America:

Late 19th Century tea set

1930's Buddhist alter from the Bei Di Temple

First Edition of this wonderful book

"Holiday"- Dong Kingman-1948
1906 Chinese Luggage Baskets
In 1937, the Japanese invaded China and many people in China started to starve. By 1940, the United States had become China's main financial supporter. The Chinese community in America helped out:


After World War II, China turned to Communism and during the Red Scare of the 1950's, Marvel Comics produced a comic book called "Yellow Claw". China and the Communists are the enemy but Chinese-American's are our friends in according to story line:


Untitled - James Leong-1951
"Fong, Fong, Gingerbread Man"-Stella Wong-1936
The Chinese Historical Society Museum is a really interesting and wonderful place to learn about the social and cultural history of Chinese-Americans.

8 comments:

  1. Haven't been to this museum yet. I should definitely check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the old yellow and blue poster. How cool!

    I just turned in a genetic testing. I wonder if I have any Chinese in me? That sure would be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fascinating place. I love to go to places where I can learn and have fun at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks so cool!! I wish I was close enough to take my children to experience this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh; this looks so interesting! Thanks for sharing with us at Love to Learn. Pinned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this sounds fascinating - what a great way to find out about Chinese culture and the way it has evolved in America too. #blogcrush

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing comments on stuff. Please tell me what you think of the places I have been to. If you like them or not. I love comments.